is what Kings Ningaloo Reef Tours is all about. We are proudly ECO Certified, meaning our tours adhere to best practice and standards for environmentally responsible tourism and are Eco Tourism Western Australia approved.
Our late founder, George King, was the very first person to swim with whale sharks in the Ningaloo Region in 1969 and was instrumental in collaborating with the Department of Biodiversity , Conservation and Attractions (previously Department of Parks and Wildlife) to design a set of rules and regulations which would protect the whale shark. To this day, this region leads the world as one of the most environmentally friendly places to snorkel with whale sharks.
Kings Ningaloo Reef Tours take you to some of the most pristine protected reef spots on the planet. What makes our tours unique is the effort we make in educating you about the environment which surrounds you then leaving it exactly how we found it for future generations. Our environmental practices include:
- Minimise wildlife disturbance with a no touch policy, safe anchoring, visitor education and whale shark interaction training. Our tours will not affect the behaviour of any sea creature.
- Energy use: High efficiency motors and generators are used and all equipment is serviced regularly to maximise efficiency. The Magellan is fitted with four solar panels to conserve use of the generators, which reduces fuel usage. Solar panels are also used to recharge batteries.
- Sustainable purchasing and local sourcing where possible.
- The crew use all natural sunscreens that exclude the toxic chemicals that are harmful to our reef system
- Water supply and conservation: The Magellan is fitted with small sinks; tap aerators; flow regulators on taps; low flow showerhead; dual/low flush environmentally friendly toilets.
- Noise: The Magellan’s engine, built using the latest engineering technology from Germany, produces virtually no noise or gas emissions. The engine hatch remains closed at all times.
- Promoting the reduction of single use plastics through education and action. At the end of every tour we offer a gift of a canvas bag to each of our passengers. It is our hope that they use this bag to replace single use shopping bags in their day to day life.
The engine is gas emission controlled, by way of on-board computers. 75% of the greenhouse gas emissions are recycled through the engine.
Working with local community groups and the Department of Biodiversty, Conservation and Attractions to manage our and others impact on the reef.